Tuesday, May 6, 2008

For the Guelph Chapter

Hey everyone!

Soooo, I am sitting here, at 1:15 am in the living room of the EWB house in Toronto, my first Ghanain dinner (not in Ghana) sitting in my belly, sort of sprawled on someone elses clothes, squished in a room with about 25 outgoing JFs and some of the masterminds of EWB debating about CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) and tied aid, gender roles in development, and how to create stronger linkages between the overseas and Canadian programs.

I can't help but think about how I can best make myself useful to the Guelph EWB Chapter and in turn the Canadian public at large. One of the questions that I posed to George Roter (one of the founding CEOs of EWB) was about how we (the JFs) can develop the Canadian society. After some discussion, George described EWB volunteers as a virus. Basically, EWB as an organization hasn't thought too much, or planned too much in which way we are developing Canadian society...soooo, every EWB volunteer is essentially responsible for going out and asking the tough questions and getting people thinking and starting to generate change. In my opinion, it is up to us define how we have impact in Canada, and it is very important for us to reflect and analyze how we are "developing" Canadian society, in order to ensure a positive impact.

The predeparture training has been very intense, in classic EWB fashion (as can be illustrated by the fact that it is quite late). I have learned so much that I can't hope to summarize, but can't wait to share with you all.


I have received a few placement details changes that I will update you on. I will be working in Damongo, in West Gonja of the Northern Region. Seeing as I have only 1.5 days before I leave, I haven't had the opportunity to find out too much, aside from the fact that this district includes the largest national park in Ghana that has elephants! I can't wait to get there and find out so much more! If any of you want to have a look at a government website of the region, take a gander at this website and let me know if you learn anything interesting or important.


Alright, I am tired, but I love you all (sorry if that's too strong, but embrace it, thats Guelph!) and thank you all for all your hard work and support!!
Kim






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim

Wanting to say hi before I hear your first stories from Ghana. I'm glad that the pre-departure kept you busy and up thinking late into the night. its true that it is hard to plan a route to change her in Canada, its different with each person you talk to.

I saw an advertisement for a UBC EWB conference on the bus today and it made me think of Guelph and you! Kristine says hi too, we went and saw a movie about Wangari Maathai and her work in environmentalism and civic rights in Kenya last night. Beautiful trees and a really awesome documentary about her and the women in her life. Anyways I hope your safe and sound. love you too!!

Alex

Kyla Firby said...

Hey Kim,

Just wanted to see how you are doing. How is your family? What is your role at your host organization? Are you in the this is so exciting stage? Or the I have no idea what I am doing here stage?

Wanted to let you know I am here for you if you ever want to talk.

Kyla