Sunday, May 18, 2008

Fufu, Bawnku, TZ, and Kenke…

There are many different foods in Ghana, but there are some essential staples that I will share with you now. For the most part, you have a starchy and gelatinous paste and a delicious soup, there are a variety of forms of starches that are from millet or maize flour and pounded yams. Preparing them is hard work, as you will see in the quick video clips below.

Also, I witnessed the slaughtering and preparing of 3 guinea fowls. It was quite alarming, but very natural. It seems Ghanaian are much more intimate with their food as much toil and trouble goes into preparing them.

So far the food is sitting ok, although I can't seem to eat as big of portions as everybody yet. In response to kyla's question...I am a bit of both the excitement phase and freaked out-what-am-i-doing-in-damongo phase. I go back and forth several times in a day. I look forward to becoming more comfortable in Damongo, learning more Gonja (local language) and understanding the pace of life better.

4 comments:

Madavine said...

KIM! You are in Ghana!!! and I'm in Zambia!! aaaaah!
I'm in Lusaka right now with all the other amazing JFs but I'll be leaving tomorrow for Nchelenge for my placement! So excited!
So keep enjoying the food, life, ..everything!
I'll get a cell phone this afternoon so we should text each other! (might take me a while to learn how to text...)
Ok, have fun!
Hugs from Lusaka.

Anonymous said...

I guess I knew that the pace of life is different everywhere in the world, but I never thought about how hard it would be to adjust to. Especially when feeling enthusiastic and like doing as much as you can in the time you have as well as being tired because everything is different. How far do you need to travel to work?

How did you like the wedding you went to? I haven't even been to a Canadian wedding, but how was it different?

We're having an exec meeting tomorrow, and I've talked to Katy and Elisa and Danny on the phone this past week. Vancouver had a sunny long weekend and I got a sunburn despite a hat and sunscreen. I saw some beavers and an osprey when i was camping, the osprey was amazing to watch fishing. There was beautiful moonlight at night too, your lucky your shower is outside, that sounds so nice! Is there much wildlife near Damongo or just food animals?

thanks for the email, and many hugs and smiles! Alex

Anonymous said...

oh another thing! Do you have a mailing address for you and your family there?

-Alex

Anonymous said...

Hello Kim,
Your observations are really valuable. I am putting together the update to send out for Buy-A-Mile, and what you have said about the water bottles and sachets and the truck carrying the water were really great. I think that the readers will find it interesting ( I did). You are brave. Just so you know, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
I look forward to your next update. Learn lots, but have fun too.
Love, Lyndsey