Thursday, March 6, 2008

Learning about Ghana, my summer home

Ghana is where I will be spending my summer and hopefully learning and impacting to the max, but how do much do I actually know about this country? One of the things that I want to do is to slowly and manageably learn about Ghana and have my lovely Guelph chapter learn with me. What I have decided to do is to focus on one aspect of the country per week. Here we go!

Week 1 - (Reading Week) Ghanian Culture



  • major ethnic groups: Akan, Ewe, Mole-Dagbane, Guan, Ga-Adangbe
  • no part of Ghana is ethnically homogenous
  • the south has western influences and is primarily christian, the north has more of an islamic influence
  • Naomi Chazan: prolific writer on modern Ghana
  • President: John Kufour
  • one of Ghana's foreign policy principles is to be a friend to all
  • food: fufu (mashed cassava, plaintain or yam), ground nut stew, fried plantains and magoes!
  • sports: football (soccer) and boxing
  • textiles: Ashanti well known for kente cloth, in a distinctive basket-work pattern. the colour and design is a way of indicating status and clan allegiance. only men weave the kente cloth
  • Population: 21 million
  • Capital: Accra
  • former UN secretary General Kofi Annan is from Ghana

Week 2 - Ghanian Geography and Climate

  • neighbouring countries: Cote D'Ivore, Burkina Faso, Togo
  • 539 km of coastline
  • the size of Britain
  • only a few degrees north of the equator!
  • very flat and close to sea level (the whole country is below 1000m)
  • world's largest artificial lake, Lake Volta (when the Volta River was dammed in the mid-1960s
  • climate: tropical
  • the north (where I will be going) is hot and dry and I will be there primarily for a dry season

Week 3 - Music!


Week 4 - Language

  • Twi ("chwee") is the most widely spoken African language in Ghana, where its the official language of education and literature
  • Hello: a-kwa-ba (response) yaa
  • Goodbye: ma-krow
  • Please: me-pa-wo-che-o
  • Thank you: may-da-say

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Great work on your blog Kim, it's looking good!

Kyla

mfeng said...

I agree with Kyla!! Awesome job! Keep up the good work! :)

Love,

Min

Anonymous said...

What are some of your specific learning objectivies?

Kyla